Jerome Robbins wrote:
Just received today and installed Open Office which I understood to enable me
to operate Powerpoint and 2 other programs (a spread sheet etc)  Instead I am
confronted on my screen page after page of something that looks somewhat like a
Forum of many users but I cannot find a way to access the three original (?)
Impress(powerpoint) the spread sheet  etc. Instead I have been wandering
aimlessly through the FORUM aspects. HELP !

I'm not sure why you're seeing that. I assume you're running Windows. Normally, you download the installer file and then double click on that file to start the installation process. After the install completes, you should find an OpenOffice folder and icons in the Start menu. You then use those icons to start the various OpenOffice components.