[fwd to users@openoffice.org - mjk

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:31:01 -0700
From: JC Dill
To: "Manfred J. Krause"
Subject: Problems with outline numbering]

Hi jc,

[Please reply *only* to users@openoffice.org -
not to my personal address]

Hello Manfred,

I'm a fairly experienced computer user, having started out with RadioShack TRS-80s in 1979. Normally I can figure things out by playing with the options or reviewing the help files. In this case the help file is useless. :-( While the program itself is (usually) quite good, the documentation is often quite bad - especially for unusual features.

I reviewed the thread you referred to. Unfortunately my problem is exactly the same as Pierre's problem and his problem was NOT solved in the thread.

My problem is that each new heading entry starts with the default number (1, 1.0, 1.1.1, etc.)

I don't see any posts in that (lengthy, and often off-topic thread) that address why this happens or WHAT TO CHANGE to get outline numbering to work correctly. All of the instruction seems to be about how to use outline numbering - I don't have any problems GETTING outline numbering, the problem is that it does not "number" correctly.

My document is 20 pages long. The headings that build the Table of Contents total enough entries that the ToC is 2 pages long - and it will be longer when I get the new headings to work right!

I need to FIX the outline numbering in this document - not start a new document from scratch.

I am at a complete loss on what to do. I've followed the instructions in that thread and they do not change the behavior of OO's outline numbering when I try to split an existing header or add a new header entry. They ALWAYS start over at 1.

If I have missed some key hint on how to get the outline numbering to number in sequence when adding a heading, could you be so kind as to spell it out for me? Please?!?!?!?

Usually: applying the corresponding heading style ...

I've read the mentioned thread again, also the linked
sub-categories of Writer Guide, chapter 7 -
and I'm sorry: no idea strikes me, that I could add.
It seems, all is said.

It seems also, that the applied so-called 'outline numbering'
in your document does *not* rest upon a correct
headings hierarchy as described in 'Defining a hierarchy
of headings'. Instead of that it seems to be rather a kind
of numbering styles or a mix of both.

I am using NeoOffice - OO for the Mac - on Mac OS X 10.4.

Thank you,

jc

Maybe someone else has any new idea ...

Manfred