zed wrote:
"Harold Fuchs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 26/03/2008, zed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
O.K.! here's the dumbest question of the year?  I've downloaded
History Manager and extracted the files to the desktop.  What the
devil do I do now?  Where do I copy the files?

Regards from New Zealand on a very warm Wednesday afternoon,.

Zed
I'm a bit confused. What I downloaded was a *single* file named "
HistoryManager.oxt". Nothing to extract. I double clicked on the name of
the file and it offered to install itself in OpenOffice.

Yes, that's what I thought would happen.  However, when I double click on
the file (and it is HistoryManager.oxt but the icon is an archive icon)
all that happens is the folder is opened with Archive Manager which shows
seven files, which is why I extracted it and ended up with a renamed file
- HistoryManager.oxt_FILES.  Clicking on this just opens the folder and
displays the same seven files.  I am LOST :-(

Hello Zed.

You can install the extension directly. Start OpenOffice.org and select
Tools > Extension Manger
Click on ADD
Browse to the location of the file HistoryManger.oxt and select it.

Now about your issue with double clicking on the file and it opens a new folder with 7 files. I assume this is Windows and if so then this is simply a case of the file extension name "oxt" being associated in your Windows installation with a zip file format. Actually this is accurate it is a zip file formatted file, but still.

How did that happen? Don't know for sure, but could of been your web browser trying to help you out...say thank you...*chuckle*.

To fix it - open the File Browser, select the HistoryManger.oxt file and right click. Select Open with. In the dialog that pops up select soffice.exe and tick the check box to make this change permanent. Done - now double clicking any oxt file will launch the Extension Manager.

HTH

Drew