R N D Martin wrote:
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Barker) wrote:

*From:* Brian Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
*To:* users@openoffice.org
*Date:* Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:55:54 +0100

At 15:26 14/04/2008 +0100, Niall Martin wrote:
In Lotus I am used to creating a table and then using copy and
paste >to batch paste direct to the cells in the table, but in OO I seem to >have to paste special into the document as text, and then turn what >I have pasted into a table. I find this rather long winded and >awkward. Have I missed something?

Possibly. I think that, in Writer, this is even easier than you hope. Don't create any table first. Instead, copy the cells from your spreadsheet and then use Edit | Paste Special... (or Ctrl+Shift+V), selecting "DDE link" from the options. This creates a table with your imported values, which you can then format as you require.

Note that this technique actually creates a link to the source spreadsheet instead of a copy - so the spreadsheet file must continue to be available and any subsequent change to it will be reflected in your Writer document. If this is not what you need, after you have pasted the link, go to Edit | Links..., select the relevant link in the list, and press Break Link. You will now have an independent text document.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

I did experiment briefly with the DDE option, but abandoned it at once,
since it did not seem to be doing  what I wanted.  Your second paragraph
I regard as  a workaround which I will  try some time, but still regard
as rather clumsy. Thanks for your comment.
Niall Martin
Niall, have you done the Paste Special as formatted test? That seems to preserve more of the formatting than the DDE link, whether later broken or not. You should end up with a table immediately after doing the Paste Special that comes pretty close to what you had in Calc. When you say "turn what I have pasted into a table" what kind of steps are you going through? Maybe we can help with that part.