Hi Harold
If the files really were not created by Works then either just download and install OpenOffice (it's free) and try, or upload one of the files to a web site somewhere and provide us with a link. If you don't have a convenient web site you can use <www.mytempdir.com>. It's free. No, I am not affiliated with it in any way.

Seems that <www.mytempdir.com> was indeed temporary, I haven't been able to get on there for about a week (server not found). Of course it may be something to do with being on the other side of the equator/Pacific.

Regards

Russell