Lindsay wrote:

From: "Urbane Tiger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:21 PM
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Subject: [users]  Re: OOXML

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:33:52 -0400, James Knott
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Urbane Tiger wrote:
Now that OOXML has been accepted by the ISO as a standard can we
expect OOo will adopt it its the preferred format.

Please no rants - there are plenty of soapboxes that are very much
more visble to the world at large than is this mailing list.

This is no rant, but anyone who knows anything about OOXML would never
suggest such a thing.  From a technical perspective, it's an absolute
disaster, the sole purpose of which, is to further MS lockin.

Same goes for USB v Firewire.  Can you buy a 500G WD Firewire hard
disk at the Post Office for $AU179 -- no.  Can you buy a 500G WD USB
hard disk at the Post Office for $AU179 -- yes.

Can someone help me understand this comment? What is the significance of one, and not the other, being available at the Post Office? There's obviously something here that I do not know, but probably ought to, so be kind to me <vbg>.

--
Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia

Hello to everyone in Australia, from someone in USA

There is a problem with people's ideas that if a giant business
or government organization, then the software/ file format/ hardware
must be the best out there.  That is not always the case.
These organizations use these things because of the best bids
or deals these companies or businesses got for the products.

There are some who think OOXML is better than the ISO based on ODF
formats that OpenOffice.org uses. I for one have used both and I
prefer ODF and OOo over OOXML and MS Office 2003/2007.

Firewire and USB argument is based on the fact that Firewire
has a faster data rate and can be daisy-chained instead of the need
for a hub-device.  SCSI was a daisy-chained hard drive technology
and IDE/EIDE won that battle since it had higher capacity per
cost of the device.

If you have Firewire on your computer and you can get an external
device with both Firewire and USB for the same cost as an USB
only device, buy the combo version.  Never buy Firewire only
devices if you will one day need to use it on a computer with
USB only - like a friend's computer or a company's computer.

OOXML as an ISO standard - well that is not yet done.
There is no final ISO standard as of yet for the OOXML
formats. There are too many problems that need to be worked out
before it will be finished as final ISO standard, like some
other company successfully using it. AND MS has already moved away from their
own proposed ISO standard and it seems that MS will not support
their own proposed ISO standard.  They are not willing to
support the ODF based ISO, so why do people think they
will support the OOXML based ISO.  ODF was being used by
many products before it was made an ISO, when OOXML
is currently used by only one product (MS's) at the date
of the proposal and preliminary acceptance by the ISO committee
to work up a final version for the standard.

a bit long winded, so to speak.

Everyone has their preferences.  I have mine, that person
has his/hers, and you have yours.

All you can do is look into the products you want to buy
and ask around and choose the best one for you.

I choose Open Source for the most part.  I have to use
MS XP or Vista for an operating, currently.  When all of
my XP/Vista products can be run on Linux or have a Linux
version, then I will gladly convert all my computers to Linux.

That is my opinion.  It may not be yours or even the best one,
but I have found it works for me and my friends and the
companies/organizations that I support part time.

TL,
New York State,
USA