2008/4/25 TJS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> After much searching through your websites I found this address as the
> place to submit feedback and ask questions. It seems there should be a more
> obvious (visible and easy-to-find) link for this.
>
> Item 1)
>
> A memory scan by NOD32 AntiVirus reported the following errors:
>  a.. C:\Downloads\OOo_2.4.0_Win32Intel_install_wJRE_en-US.exe »NSIS
>  b.. C:\Downloads\OpenOffice 2.4 Installation
>  c.. C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org
> 2.4\program\python-core-2.3.4\lib\test\testtar.tar »TAR - archive damaged
> What action is required to resolve these errors?
>

> Item 2)
>  a.. Java 6 Update 6 was loaded.
>  b.. Then OpenOffice 2.4 was loaded and it loaded Java 6 Update 4.
> Does OpenOffice 2.4 use Java6 Update 6, or Java6 Update 4?
> Should either one of these be removed?
>
> Thank you

Re Item 2 above : the OO.o 2.4 download seems to include by default the Java
Runtime Environment version, 6u4, current at the time it was released. Since
then, two JRE updates have been released, the latest of which is 6u6.
Unfortunately, unlike a majority of other programmes of this type,
installation of a Java update does not automatically write over the earlier
version, removal of which is instead left to the owner/adminsitrator of the
computer in question. You can safely remove JRE 6u4 (and any other earlier
versions of JRE that you may have installed) by opening the control panel,
proceeding to the add/remove programmes window (the title differs slightly
from e g, Windows XP to Windows Vista - I presume here you are running a
Windows machine), highlighting the programme to be uninstalled, and clicking
the uninstall button. OO.o runs perfectly well with JRE 6u6, and presumably
will continue to do so with subsequent JRE updates, which should be
installed (and earlier versions then removed) for security reasons....

Henri