2008/5/21 John Miskell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Help! Without boring you with my computer ignorance, I wonder if I can get
> an automatic file extension of "doc". If I forget to change written text
> that I attach to emails, others that use Microsoft or Mac programs can not
> open  extension "odt". I can change my documents to "doc" but it is not
> automatic.  Can I modify Open Office so it is automatic?
> I would appreciate a response.
> Thank you.
> John Miskell

Hello John,

Two actions needed to automate OOo saving as .doc (.xls, etc)
1) In Tools>Options>Load/Save>General select for each document type (last
line on the right) the format you want:
Text document -> Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP
Spreadsheet -> Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP
etc.

2) Click the 'automatic filename extension' in the Save dialog

HTH
--
Guy
using dutch OOo Aqua Beta 3.0.0 (and older) on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger