John Miskell wrote:
Help! Without boring you with my computer ignorance, I wonder if I can get an automatic file extension of
"doc". If I forget to change written text that I attach to emails, others that use Microsoft or Mac
programs can not open  extension "odt". I can change my documents to "doc" but it is not
automatic.  Can I modify Open Office so it is automatic?
I would appreciate a response.
Thank you.
John Miskell
Yes, you can make .DOC the default format. Just click on Tools > Options > Load/Save > General. At the bottom of the panel are a couple of drop down lists, where you can chose the desired file format, for the various document types. Also, when using Save as, ensure automatic file name extension is selected. Another method, is to simply email in Word format. You can do that by clicking on File > Send > E-mail as Microsoft Word. This way, you can work on your documents in ODT format and only convert when sending. This is the preferred way.