John W Kennedy wrote:
On May 23, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Jim Allan wrote:
Wasn’t it Microsoft who invented ODBC which has been generally adopted in the Linux and Unix world as well?

It's glue. Not even Microsoft can sell broken glue.

How has Microsoft screwed up Unicode? (Yes, I am aware that the identify the \ characters with the ¥ character on Japanese computers, but that is the only example I know of where they go against Unicode.) Seems to me they were the most persistent supporters of Unicode in the early days when no-one else was supporting it.

I have heard that it was Microsoft that started the unapproved and frequently maddening trick of putting a BOM into UTF-8.

If you have something to blame Microsoft for, then document it, as people have for the OOXML fiasco or discrepancies from standard HTML, or some of their dirty tricks or mistatements.

Your comment about broken glue doesn’t make sense to me at all.

Microsoft currently uses UTF-16 internally which can use initial BOM. So there is nothing wrong there with Microsoft using initial BOM. Check the Unicode manual.

The problem is with converting UTF-16 to UTF-8 but not dropping an initial BOM when doing this. If it is a Microsoft converter that does this, then it is indeed Microsoft’s fault. Otherwise it isn’t Microsoft’s fault. If Microsoft doesn’t follow standards it is blamed, and when it does follow standards it is blamed.

I am quite ready to accept that it is Microsoft’s fault, if indeed it is. But I would you like to hear more details than “I have heard...”.

But I am tired of hearing everything blamed on Microsoft.

Jim Allan

Jim Allan