mike scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] typed:

> On 17 Jun 2008 at 11:27, tony.saunders wrote:
>
> > I sent a request for advice/assistance earlier today. Please advise
if
> > you can deal with this, or if not, who can.
> >
> > Tony Saunders
>
> I can't see any record of a previous email from you arriving here, so
> I doubt whether anyone else has received one.
>
> It would have helped if you'd repeated the query - I suggest you
> resend it to the list.

When replying to "requests" like this, you might want to add a little
clarification. It's obvious that this poster, like many others, thinks
that he's writing to a company support department.

"It would have helped if you'd repeated the query - I suggest you resend
it to this VOLUNTEER, MUTUAL-ASSISTANCE, public mailing list, in which
we USERS of OpenOffice attempt to help each other and discuss aspects of
the NON-PROFIT, open-source free office-and-productivity suite known as
OpenOffice.  If you posted via a Newsgroup, rather than as a subscribed
member of users@openoffice.org, then your original post was held for
(volunteer) moderator review. Also, members tend to reply to the list,
and not directly to the poster of a query, so if you are not subscribed,
you might be missing relevant replies."

OK, maybe I'm being a little heavy-handed, but it would save
time/turnaround and hurt feelings. Perhaps we should work up some
boiler-plate phrasing that we just cut'n'paste into all such replies.
Not to stop anybody from replying as they wish - just to provide a
canned paragraph to save time for those who would use it.

 - Kevin
or disclosing it.