On 17 Jun 2008 at 11:15, McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

> mike scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] typed:
> >
> > On 17 Jun 2008 at 11:27, tony.saunders wrote:
> >
> > > I sent a request for advice/assistance earlier today. Please advise
> if
> > > you can deal with this, or if not, who can.
> > >
> > > Tony Saunders
> >
> > I can't see any record of a previous email from you arriving here, so
> > I doubt whether anyone else has received one.
> >
> > It would have helped if you'd repeated the query - I suggest you
> > resend it to the list.
>
> When replying to "requests" like this, you might want to add a little
> clarification. It's obvious that this poster, like many others, thinks
> that he's writing to a company support department.

Oddly enough, I did write an extra paragraph, then decided anything
like that might possibly cause offence and removed it. I felt the
list status could be clarified if/when he responded (and I did bcc
him as well even though he seems to be subscribed).

> OK, maybe I'm being a little heavy-handed, but it would save
> time/turnaround and hurt feelings. Perhaps we should work up some

Maybe. But I felt a positive response should bring him back - but not
so far. I assume, btw, that no-one else saw his original request?

> boiler-plate phrasing that we just cut'n'paste into all such replies.
> Not to stop anybody from replying as they wish - just to provide a
> canned paragraph to save time for those who would use it.

Good idea. I generally hunt in my outbox and nab the last thing I
wrote. I've never felt though that I had right the balance between
brevity and completeness.

How about (snipped as needed)

"This is in response to your message to users@openoffice.org, an
email list for the support of the OpenOffice.org office suite. It is
not a formal support team, but relies on volunteer users to provide
help and advice via email to the list only.
Please note you seem not to be subscribed to this mailing list, so
may miss replies. http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html for more
information."

Too succinct, or too verbose??

--
Permission for this mail to be processed by any third party in
connection