On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:36:37 +0200
"P. De Buck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> I've tried the Foxit reader and found it very good and it does all you said.
> This is what the
> Acrobat Reader should do with my forms. It seems almost obvious Adobe
> prevents other programs to
> make fully capable PDF forms. In a way I can understand them, but I also
> think it undermines a bit
> the future of their product as it seems other software houses will take over
> the lower budget
> markets by making their products more capable.
>
> Still, if anyone should have an idea to make it work also with the 'standard'
> PDF viewer?

I tried to use Foxit from Linux, but the Linux version won't launch. I
got it from:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/

It downloads a tar.gz file, except the file on my hard drive turns out
to be just a .tar file. Nevertheless, File Roller was happy to
uncompress it. But what I got was a file called ReaderLinux with no
extension. It's properties says it is an executable, but it won't do
anything. From the command line "ReaderLinux" just gives me "not a
command" error.

The web site says it is a single executable, but how is one supposed to
execute it?

Meantime, I have no problem creating editable PDFs from Writer and
Adobe Reader 8.1 Linux happily lets me edit them. But as others have
noted, you can only print the edited copy, not save to disk. I do have
a workaround because I installed CUPS print to PDF utility. I can also
save an edited copy with okular, a native Linux PDF viewer, but okular
doesn't allow editing of all controls yet. I was hoping Foxit would be
an easier solution.