On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:14:21 -0700
Bob Estes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've just installed and updated PCLinuxOS 2007 in a dual boot
> configuration with Windows XP PRO, SP3.  This is my first experience
> with any form of Linux.  OOo came with the PCLinux installation, and
> the Synaptic package manager updated it to v. 2.3.1.  I downloaded
> the 2.4.1 Linux version from the OOo website, but I can't figure how
> to install it.  (Double clicking the installation file like in
> Windows don't work.) Since I am new to Linux, please be specific with
> your instructions.

OK it's not real hard but it takes a couple of steps.

I'm assuming that since you use synaptic the packages you downloaded
are debian packages.

OOo comes as several .deb packages archived together in a tar file.

You will need to open a console window.

1. Copy the OOo..... .tar.gz file to the directory you wnat to install
it to. That might be your home directory or somewhere like /opt (you
will need to log on as root to do the latter- use su)
2. tar -zxvf OOo_2.4.1<etc etc>.tar.gz
3. cd to the resulting OOo 2.4 folder... this will be full of files
ending in .deb
4. dpkg -i *.deb
5. Wait. This should put  relevant menu items into your main menu and
it should be good to go.

--
God bless you,

Keith Bates