2008/7/30 Library <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hello,
>

> If I download OpenOffice, will I be able to open an Excel spreadsheet
> and make changes?

Yes, unless the spreadsheet is in Microsoft's new "Office 2007" format with
extension ".xlsx" instead of just ".xls". OpenOffice version 3, due in
September should be able to open those. Version 3 is available in Beta (not
commercial, stuff may not work properly) from the web site if it's really
urgent.

Also, OpenOffice can't handle Microsoft's macros so if the spreadsheet has
those OpenOffice will open it but the results won't be right. To handle
Microsoft macros (written in VBA) you need OxygenOffice from <
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooop>. I believe that the software is free,
like OpenOffice but, unlike OpenOffice support for OxygenOffice is not free.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England