mike scott wrote:
On 10 Aug 2008 at 21:13, Louis-H Desouvrey wrote:
Let's me clarify. When I am in OOo Writer, I can't insert a formula into a text box (created by clicking the T button in the Draw toolbar...). As you put it, the option Insert > Object > Formula is greyed out. Copy and paste are greyed out as well. In OOo Draw this option is enabled (i.e., it is not greyed out), but I can't group a formula with other drawings (a line, a triangle, etc.). XP-SP2,OOo 2.4.1.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but you seem to want a floating entity containg some text, and within that entity, you want a formula object. AFAICS the only way to achieve that is within Writer - make a /frame/ (Insert | Frame) and put your text within it, and you'll find you can also - within that frame - do an Insert | Object | Formula. The inserted formula is then truly within the frame, and can be anchored or wrapped as any other object. (You can also flow text between such frames, btw.)

A text /box/ is a different sort of beast but available within Draw and Writer. As you remark, Insert|Object doesn't work in Writer while the cursor is within a text box. If you use it in Draw to attempt to insert something in a text box, you get an independent object, not attached to the text box at all. I suspect this isn't what you want.

Incidentally, it does seem possible to group (in Draw) a formula object with other things. Try putting a formula and a graphic onto the page, then use the cursor to drag a large selection box round both, for example. Both will be selected, and can be, for example, grouped together or aligned. (This won't work in Writer, however.)

Hope this helps. If not, perhaps you could clarify what you're trying to achieve on the page - there may be a totally different approach.

(Replies to list only please)

Now it is clear to me that I have been using the Writer Draw Functions incorrectly. It is much more simple to draw objects inside a frame (Insert > Frame). As suggested to me, I can write the text, edit the formula, and draw the lines. No need to group, they stick together inside the frame, which apparently can be edited, moved, anchored, etc., without modifying its contents. I can even take off the borders of the frame.
The suggestions were very helpful.
Thank you to everyone
Louis-H Desouvrey