Den 23 maj 2018 16:05 skrev William Dossett <william.doss...@gmail.com>:

Hi Jayme, thanks for the info… yes I’ve been googling and googling… I run a few VMware VSANs at the moment so HCI is my specialty … even one in my basement   going to upgrade that to all flash soon as the 2TB disks are getting cheaper!

A question more to the Red Hatters here, don't you have reference architecture for HCI?

/K

I tried doing this a couple of years back as my post says but it was pretty much undoable then.  I guess I am going to go h/w raid to start and see how that is.  I haven’t got the money to put SSD in the 720s, but I do have 10Gb networking so hoping that will help on speed…  anyway, it’s a PoC so I am sure I will building and rebuilding a few times and trying to remember what I know of GlusterFS.

Regards

Bill

From: Jayme [mailto:jay...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:25 AM
To: william.doss...@gmail.com
Cc: users <users@ovirt.org>
Subject: Re: [ovirt-users] ovirt and gluster disk config

Unfortunately there is not a lot of info out there about ideal hardware configs for hyperconverged oVirt (at least not that I have found to date, and believe me I've looked).  If you have enough drives and especially if they are spinning disks as far as I know your best option would likely be to do a RAID-10 config to make up a single glusterfs brick on each physical server.  Raid-10 will add some performance benefits and also give you some options to replace failed disks without bringing the brick offline.  The downfall is that you waste a ton of usable space with Raid + gluster because each offer redundancy.

I'm about to build a 3 node hyperconverted oVirt setup on Dell R720s myself, but I'm planning on using two 2Tb SSDs in JBOD configuration per host w/ a gluster replica 3.  I've gone back and forth on using JBOD or Raid config with SSDs and never did get a clear answer (online or asking on this mailing list).  SSDs are too expensive right now to lose half usable space to raid then another half or more to gluster replication.