I have found a temporary? solution that seems to be working for us.

As I predicted it is indeed the lockscreen that leads to the problem. Per
default the VMs will lock the screen after 10 minutes at which time I was not
able to connect to it anymore. Here is how i disabled the lockscreen:

Set it during the runtime:
TERM=linux setterm -blank 0 -powerdown 0  -powersave off >/dev/tty0 </dev/tty0

Set it persistent:
Add 'consoleblank=0' to '/etc/default/grub' and rebuild the grub:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

I am not sure if this is actually considerd a bug and if I should post it to a
bugtracker - if so can anyone point me to where it should be reported.

Thanks,
Hendrik