On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 17:45:34 +0100
Sandro Bonazzola <sbona...@redhat.com> wrote:

>Il giorno mar 8 gen 2019, 19:10 <mdc...@meditech.com> ha scritto:
>
>> Hello, first time poster looking for help on setting up the network for a
>> VDI deployment.

Should the virtual machines be accessible from outside, e.g. to access
remote desktop, or do you want to use the oVirt SPICE console?

>Welcome to the oVirt community!
>

>A little background, I have Ovirt engine running on a Vmware virtual
>> machine and have added a physical host to serve up virtual machines running
>> windows 7 to our developers.
>

>why not using self hosted engine instead of the VMware VM?
>

>The host has a static IP address and when I create a virtual machine I can
>> see the default network is attached and up but does not receive an IP
>> address. It does have a MAC so I'm wondering if I need to have our network
>> team assign an IP for that MAC?

Yes, if your network team would assign an IP for that MAC, e.g. for
static assignment inside the virtual machine or via DHCP.
Please note that oVirt allows you to manage the MAC addresses of the
VMs.
(With the exception of external networks like OVN or OpenStack
Neutron networks) oVirt's VM networking is focused on layer 2, and does
not care about layer 3 issues like IP address management and routing.

>> I will be creating around 20 vm's that
>> would get wiped after use so assigning static ip's might cause issues.

I could image that there are some less straight forward solutions like
cloudinit, or a script inside the VM possible, but I would prefer to
manage the IP addresses outside the guests, e.g. by a DHCP server.

> Am I
>> missing something or is there a better way to setup the LAN for this host?

Straight forward would be the use a DHCP server for IP address
management.
A simple way would be to use a DHCP server of your host management
network. The host management network is represented by the logical
network "ovirtmgmt" in oVirt. This DHCP server is probably managed
by your network team.

A more complex way would be to create a dedicated VLAN on layer 2,
represented in oVirt by a new logical network with a VLAN tag.
All the VDI VMs could be attached to this new logical network and a
dedicated node could provide higher layer services like a DHCP server
and IP routing between the new VLAN and the host management network.
This node could be a usual physical router, or a oVirt VM, with access
to both layer 2 networks.
Please note that the already existing routers have to learn about the
new network, if the VDI clients cannot added to the new VLAN.