In such case ,you use the same approach for the VM in whole - lock + snapshot
on oVirt + unlock.This way you keep OS + app backup in one place , which has
it's own Pluses and Minuses.
Best Regards,Strahil Nikolov

    В вторник, 14 май 2019 г., 6:40:56 ч. Гринуич-4, Derek Atkins
<de...@ihtfp.com> написа:

 Hi,

I am sorry I was unclear.  Of course the long operation happens with the
DB unlocked.

Once the LVM snapshot is created (from within the locked environment), the
lock is of course released and the backup proceeds from a db-unlocked
environment.

I apologize for my lack of clarity with "and then I backup off the
snapshot" not making that clear.

-derek

On Tue, May 14, 2019 6:20 am, Strahil wrote:
> Derek,
>
> That's risky.
> Just read lock the DB, create the lvm snapshot and release the lock.
> Otherwise you risk a transaction to be  interrupted.
>
> Best Regards,
> Strahil NikolovOn May 13, 2019 16:47, Derek Atkins <de...@ihtfp.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Strahil <hunter86...@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> > Another option is to create a snapshot, backup the snapahot and merge
>> > the disks (delete the snapshot actually).
>> > Sadly that option doesn't work with Databases, as you might inyerrupt
>> > a transaction and leave the DB in inconsistent state.
>>
>> Yet another reason to do it from inside the VM.
>>
>> What I do (on systems that have a running database) is to run a "flush"
>> operation to sync the database to disk, and then from within the flush
>> operation I create an LVM snapshot, and then I backup off the snapshot.
>> If I'm not running a database, then I just create the snapshot directly.
>>
>> > Best Regards,
>> > Strahil Nikolov
>>
>> -derek
>> --
>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>        de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

      Derek Atkins                617-623-3745
      de...@ihtfp.com            www.ihtfp.com