On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 2:31 AM <tho...@hoberg.net> wrote:

> I am testing the migration from CentOS7/oVirt 4.3 to CentOS8/oVirt 4.4.
>
> Exporting all VMs to OVAs, and re-importing them on a new cluster built from
> scratch seems the safest and best method, because in the step-by-step
> migration, there is simply far too many things that can go wrong and no easy
> way to fail-back after each step.

You should really try the attach/detach storage domain, this is the
recommended way to move
vms from one ovirt system to another.

You could detach the entire domain with all vms from the old system,
and connect it to the new
system, without copying even one bit.

I guess you cannot do this because you don't use shared storage?

> So I have manually put the single-line fix in, which settles udev to ensure
> that disks are not exported as zeros. That's the bug which renders the final
> release oVirt 4.3 forever unfit, 4 years before the end of maintenance of
> CentOS7, because it won't be fixed there.

Using ovirt 4.3 when 4.4 was released is going to be painful, don't do this.

You are hitting https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1854888

> I have the export domain backup running right now, but I'm not sure it's not
> using the same mechanism under the cover with potentially similar results.

No, export domain is using qemu-img, which is the best tool for copying images.
This is how all disks are copied in oVirt in all flows. There are no
issues like ignored
errors or silent failures in storage code.

> P.P.S. So just where (and on which machine) do I need to change the timeout?

There are no timeouts in storage code, e.g. attach/detach domain, or
export to export
domain.

Nir

Nir