> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 2:31 AM <thomas(a)hoberg.net&gt; wrote:
>
> You should really try the attach/detach storage domain, this is the
> recommended way to move
> vms from one ovirt system to another.
>
> You could detach the entire domain with all vms from the old system,
> and connect it to the new
> system, without copying even one bit.
>
> I guess you cannot do this because you don't use shared storage?

These are all HCI setups with GlusterFS, so storage is shared in a way...

I am also experimenting with a backup (not export) domain on NFS and/or
removable media (just temp local storage, exported via NFS), but the handling
is very odd, to say the least (see my other post for the full story).
Basically the documentation says you move all VM disks to the backup domain
after cloning the VM. And then it says nothing more... (how does the VM
definition get carried over? Can I then destroy the remaing clone VM? Do I need
to re-create a similar VM at the target? etc.)

The in-place upgrade producedure in the docs for the HCI case has far too many
tersly described steps that can go wrong with someone like me doing it: I even
manage to fail a green-field setup many times somehow

And even if I were to do the upgrade as described, I do need to know that the
export/clean-migration/import is still a viable option, should something go
wrong.

> Using ovirt 4.3 when 4.4 was released is going to be painful, don't do this.

That's why I am migrating, but for that I need to prove a working plan B

> You are hitting https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1854888

Unfortunately the description doesn't tell if the failure of the silent
qemu-img was on the export side, resulting a corrupted image: I am assuming
that qemu-img is used in both export and import.

The failure on the import is not silent, just doesn't seem to make a lot of
sense, because qemu-img is reporting a write error at the local single node HCI
gluster target, which has plenty of space and is essentially a loopback in
1nHCI.

> No, export domain is using qemu-img, which is the best tool for copying
> images.
> This is how all disks are copied in oVirt in all flows. There are no
> issues like ignored
> errors or silent failures in storage code.
My problem is getting errors and now understanding what's causing them.

Qemu-img on the target HCI single node Gluster is reporting a write error at
varying block numbers, often after dozens of gigabytes have already been
transferred. There is plenty of space on the Gluster, an SSD with VDO
underneath so the higher risk is actually the source, which is the NFS mount
from the export domain.

I've tried uploading the image using imageio and your Python sample from the
SDK, but just as I had done that (with 50MB/s at 1/6 of the performance of the
qemu-img transfer), I managed to kill the 4.4 cluster by downgrading the
machine type of the hosted-engine, when I was really trying to make a
successfully restored VM work with renamed Ethernet devices...

The upload via imageio completed fully, I hadn't tested the disk image with a
machine yet to see if it would boot.

> There are no timeouts in storage code, e.g. attach/detach domain, or
> export to export
> domain.
>
> Nir
Well, that was almost my last hope, because I don't know what could make the
qemu-img import transfer fail on a write, when the very same image works with
imageio... Actually, the big difference there is that the resulting disk, which
is logically configured at 500GB is actually logically consuming 500GB in the
domain, while sparse images that make it successfully through qemu-img, retain
their much smaller actual size. VDO is still underneath so it may not matter,
and I didn't have a chance to try sparsify before I killed the target cluster.

I have also prepared a USB3 disk to act as export domain, which I'll physically
move, just to ensure the NFS pipe in the qemu-img job isn't the real culprit.

And I guess I'll try the export again, to see if I overlooked some error there.