Thanks a lot for this feed back!

I've never had any practical experience with Ceph, MooseFS, BeeGFS or Lustre:
GlusterFS to me mostly had the charme of running on 1/2/3 nodes and then
anything beyond at a balanced benefits in terms of resilience vs.
performance... in theory, of course.

And on top, the fact that (without sharding), if hell broke loose, you'd always
have access to the files on the file system below, was a great help in building
up enough confidence to go and try it.

Politics and real-world came much later and from my experience with TSO, 370s,
Lotus Notes and QuickTransit, I can appreciate the destructive power of IBM:
Let's just hope they don't give into the temptation of "streamlining their
offerings" the wrong direction.