I came to oVirt thinking that it was like CentOS: There might be bugs, but
given the mainline usage in home and coporate labs with light workloads and
nothing special, chances to hit one should be pretty minor: I like looking for
new fronteers atop of my OS, not inside.

I have been runing CentOS/OpenVZ for years in a previous job, mission critical
24x7 stuff where minutes of outage meant being grilled for hours in meetings
afterwards. And with PCI-DSS compliance certified. Never had an issue with
OpenVZ/CentOS, all those minute goofs where human error or Oracle inventing
execution plans.

Boy was I wrong about oVirt! Just setting it up took weeks. Ansible loves
eating Gigahertz and I was running on Atoms. I had to learn how to switch from
an i7 in mid-installation to have it finish at all. I the end I had learned
tons of new things, but all I wanted was a cluster that would work as much out
of the box as CentOS or OpenVZ.

Something as fundamental as exporting and importing a VM might simply not work
and not even get fixed.

Migrating HCI from CentOS7/oVirt 4.3 to CentOS8/oVirt 4.4 is anything but
smooth, a complete rebuild seems the lesser evil: Now if only exports and
imports worked reliably!

Rebooting a HCI nodes seems to involve an "I am dying!" aria on the network,
where the whole switch becomes unresponsive for 10 minutes and the fault
tolerant cluster on it being 100% unresponsive (including all other machines on
that switch). I has so much fun resynching gluster file systems and searching
through all those log files for signs as to what was going on!
And the instructions on how to fix gluster issues seems so wonderfully detailed
and vague, it seems one could spend days trying to fix things or rebuild and
restore. It doesn't help that the fate of Gluster very much seems to hang in
the air, when the scalable HCI aspect was the only reason I ever wanted oVirt.

Could just be an issue with RealTek adapters, because I never oberved something
like that with Intel NICs or on (recycled old) enterprise hardware

I guess official support for a 3 node HCI cluster on passive Atoms isn't going
to happen, unless I make happen 100% myself: It's open source after all!

Just think what 3/6/9 node HCI based on Raspberry PI would do for the project!
The 9 node HCI should deliver better 10Gbit GlusterFS performance than most
QNAP units at the same cost with a single 10Gbit interface even with 7:2
erasure coding!

I really think the future of oVirt may be at the edge, not in the datacenter
core.

In short: oVirt is very much beta software and quite simply a full-time job if
you depend on it working over time.

I can't see that getting any better when one beta gets to run on top of another
beta. At the moment my oVirt experience has me doubt RHV on RHEL would work any
better, even if it's cheaper than VMware.

OpenVZ was simply the far better alternative than KVM for most of the things I
needed from virtualization and it was mainly the hastle of trying to make that
work with RHEL which had me switching to CentOS. CentOS with OpenVZ was the
bedrock of that business for 15 years and proved to me that Redhat was
hell-bent on making bad decisions on technological direction.

I would have actually liked to pay a license for each of the physical hosts we
used, but it turned out much less of a bother to forget about negotiating
licensing conditions for OpenVZ containers and use CentOS instead.

BTW: I am going into a meeting tomorrow, where after two years of pilot usage,
we might just decide to kill our current oVirt farms, because they didn't
deliver on "a free open-source virtualization solution for your entire
enterprise".

I'll keep my Atoms running a little longer, mostly because I have nothing else
to use them for. For a first time in months, they show zero gluster replication
errors, perhaps because for lack of updates there have been no node reboots.
CentOS 7 is stable, but oVirt 4.3 out of support.