Hi Strahil,

OpenVZ is winding down, unfortunately. They haven't gone near CentOS8 yet any I
don't see that happen either. It's very unfortunate, because I really loved
that project and I always preferred its container abstraction as well as the
resource management tools, because scale-in is really the more prevalent use
case where I work.

I see Kir Kolyshkin is now at Redhat, but he doesn't seem to be working on cool
things like CRIU any more, just Kubernetes.

I had issues trying to get CUDA working with OpenVZ (inside containers), too,
mostly because Nvidia's software was doing stupid things like trying to load
modules. It's the reason I went back to VMs, because they actually seem to have
less trouble with GPUs these days, which must have cost man centuries of
engineer time to achieve.

I'll have to look at RHV pricing to see if it's an alternative. We seem to have
extremely attractive RHEL licensing prices to push out our CentOS usage and now
we know how that will change. But I won't be able to use those licenses for my
home-lab, which is where I test things before I move them to the corporate lab,
which is hundreds of miles away, instead of under the table.

As far as I am concerned, I did already spend far too much time learning about
oVirt. I didn't want a full time involvement, but it's clearly what it takes
and actually a 24x7 team while you're at it. My understanding of a fault
tolerant environment is really, that you can move maintenance to where it suits
you and that you just add another brick for more reliability. I've never
operated Nutanix, but I can't imagine that expanding a 3 node HCI is the same
experience. E.g. I'd naturally want to use erasure coding with higher node
counts, but the Python code for that is simply not there: I twiddled with
Ansible code to get a 4:1 dispersed volume working that I now need to migrate
to oVirt 4.4...

My commitment to Gluster is hampered by Redhat's commitment to Gluster.
Initially it seemed just genius, exactly the right approach, especially with
VDO. But the integration between Gluster and oVirt seems stuck at six months
after Gluster acquisition, not the years that passed since.

IMHO oVirt is a house of cards, that's a little to agile to run even the lab
parts of an enterprise.

But for the next year, I'll probably stick with it. But it's chances of
replacing VMware even via RHEL/RHV for production have shrunk to pretty much
zero. Too bad that that was exactly what I had in mind.