> You're welcome to help with oVirt project design and discuss with the
> community the parts that you think should benefit from a re-design.

I consider these pesky little comments part of the discussion, even if I know
they are not the best style.

But how much is there to discuss, if Redhat has already decided to switch to a
beta base (CentOS stream) underneath oVirt?

Nobody wants bleeding edge on a hypervisor, except those who develop that
hypervisor.

oVirt is supposed to deliver a higher reliability than bare metal hardware, by
providing a fault tolerant design and automatic fault recovery.

But if the software stack that the HA engine builds on is more volatile than
the hardware below, it simply can't do its work of increasing overall
resilience: a beta OS kills the value of a HA management stack above.

Only a RHEL downstream CentOS is near solid enough to build on (unless you did
fully validated oVirt node images). Bleeding edge is what you put inside the
VMs, not underneath. I don't think I have heard a single oVirt *user*
advocating the switch to Stream. IMHO it's political and kills oVirt's value
proposition.

My next major other gripe is that to a newcomer it's not obvious from the start
that the oVirt 'classic' and the HCI variant are and will most likely remain
very different beasts, because they have a distinct history and essentially
incompatible principles.

Classic oVirt started with shared storage, which is always turned on. Theat
means idle hosts can be turned off and workloads consolidated to minimize
energy consumption. It aims for the minimal number of hosts to do the job.

Gluster is all about scale out without any choke points, the more hosts the
better the performance.

And when you combine both in a HCI gluster, turning off hosts requires a much
better attention as to whether these hosts contribute bricks to volumes in use
or not.

For a user it's quite natural to mix both, using a set of HCI nodes to provide
storage and base capacity and then add pure compute nodes to provide dynamic
workload expansion.

But now I'm pretty sure that's unchartered territory, because I see  terrible
things happening with quota decisions when computing nodes that don't even
contribute bricks to volumes are rebooted e.g. during updates.

Making the community responsible for providing a unifying vision, is asking for
help a bit too late in the game.

And then classic oVirt and HCI oVirt have completely different scaling
characteristics. Classic will scale from one to N hosts without any issue, but
HCI won't even go from 1 to 2 or the more sensible 3 nodes. Nor does it then
allow the transition from replicas to the obviously more attractive dispersion
volumes as you expand from 3 to 6 or 9 nodes.

How much of a discussion will we have, when I say that I want a Gluster volume
to expand/grow/shrink and transform from 1 to N bricks and transition between
replicas, dispersed volumes, sharded or non sharded with oVirt seamlessly
running on top?

But unfortunately that is the natural expectation any newcomer will have, just
like I did, when I read all the nice things Redhat had to say about the
technology.

I hope you won't dispute it's still very much a patchwork and with a very small
chance of near time resolution.