On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 3:18 PM <regl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes - local as in 5400 RPM SATA - standard desktop, slow storage.. :)
>
> It's still 'slow' being 5400 RPM SATA, but after setting the new VM to
> 'VirtIO-SCSI' and loading the driver, the performance is 'as expected'. I
> don't notice with with the Linux VMs because they don't do anything that
> requires a lot of disk I/O. Mostly Ansible/Python education and such.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/28f764yb/Untitled.png
>
> I actually have some super fast Serial SCSI SSD drives I am going to use
> in the future. A storage vendor where I worked at ordered a bunch by
> mistake to upgrade our storage array and then left them sitting on-site for
> like 9 months. I contacted them to remind them we still had them in our
> data center and asked if they wanted to come and get them. I joked with our
> field engineer and told him if they didn't want them, I could find a use
> for them! He actually contacted his manager who gave us approval to just
> 'dispose' of them. So I thought why not recycle them? :)
>
> I'm in the process of moving soon for a new job. Once I get settled, I'm
> going to upgrade the storage I use for VMs. Either to those SSDs or maybe a
> small NAS device. Ideally.. a NAS device that can support Serial SCSI. I'll
> need to get a controller and a cable for them, but considering the
> performance... it should be well worth it. And no - I didn't get fired for
> swiping the drives! Too many years invested in IT for something that stupid
> and I'm just not that kind of person anyway. I took a position that's a bit
> more 'administrative' and less technical; but with better pay, so I want to
> keep my tech skills sharp, just because I enjoy it.
>
> This is just a 'home lab' - nothing that supports anything even remotely
> important. I'm so used to SSD now.. my desktop OS is on SSD, my CentOS
> machine is on SSD.. putting Windows on spinning platters is just painful
> anymore!

While I do have big oVirt setups running on pure SSD storage, I must admit
that Windows (and Linux VMs) are perfectly usable on HDD software RAIDs,
*if* everything is configured correctly (and you have a lot of RAM).
E.g. I'm typing this message on a Fedora VM running (w/ VFIO + nVidia GPU +
USB passthrough) on a pretty beefy 8 y/o Xeon machine with 6 x 2TB MDRAID
and ~10 other VMs (including Windows), and unless multiple VMs are trashing
the disks, I get near bare-metal performance. (I even run 3D games on this
VM...)

- Gilboa