On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 10:15 PM <cameronsplaze...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Should have replied to the main thread before, my b.
>
> Switching to centos 8 stream did the trick! I had to add the release44.rpm
> again, but after the ovirt-hosted-engine-setupp.noarch install, I was able to
> run `hosted-engine --deploy`!

Glad to hear that, thanks for the report!

> Inside that hosted-engine command, the setup is failing at "Detecting host
> timezone. Please provide FQDN you would like to use...".

Is this an exact copy from the terminal? I suppose not. It's two
lines, and the second has '...provide the FQDN'.

> I did the default "enter",

You are right. This question should not have a default. I think this
should fix, didn't try:
https://gerrit.ovirt.org/c/ovirt-setup-lib/+/117977 .

> and it says:
>
> Failed to execute stage 'Environment customization': Empty strings are not
> supported!

Looks like another bug. This should fix, didn't test:
https://gerrit.ovirt.org/c/ovirt-setup-lib/+/117978

I suppose most people do supply a name here, and the few that don't,
just retry without reporting a bug...

> But I'll poke at it again tonight/tomorrow, just wanted to update here. I
> haven't had a chance to poke at that at ALL yet. I'm more-so curious if I'm
> on the right path for a single-machine install, and wanted to update you all
> on the CentOS fix.

I'd like to clarify that a hosted-engine deployment isn't always the
best approach for a single machine setup. You might want to check the
list archives for previous discussions about this - we tend to have
one once a year or so - perhaps this is worth a doc bug or a page on
the web site. E.g.:

https://www.mail-archive.com/users@ovirt.org/msg65276.html
https://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2016-September/042512.html
https://lists.ovirt.org/archives/list/users@ovirt.org/thread/6ECDFO55RCA6RBGMFSWNWU74AVRTW7PS/