Thanks for the info Tomas - here's what I have done:

1. Unpack .ova file.
2. Remove the single quote from the beginning and end of the XML in the .ovf
file.
3. Attempts to import the VM started but failed soon after.

Reviewing the logs I could see references to '.ova', which as I was using the
unpacked files wasn't present - so I tested the following:

1. Unpack .ova file.
2. Remove the single quote from the beginning and end of the XML in the .ovf
file.
3. Repackaged the .ova
4. Imported the VM successfully.

Will the single quote issue be resolved in a new release or should I accept
this workaround for the foreseeable future?

Kind Regards

Simon...