On Mon, 26 Feb 2024, ov...@the-dawg.net wrote:

I have multiple aging clusters that I now need to upgrade both the host OS and
the oVirt release. I have seen the notes about upgrading 4.2 to 4.3 and then
being able to upgrade to 4.5, but what's not so clear is how to upgrade the
host nodes' OS versions. After thinking about it, I wonder if this method is
sane. Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

1) spin up a new cluster running oVirt 4.5.x on the latest Rocky Linux release.
2) shutdown VMs on the original cluster
3) detach the domain storage
4) snapshot the domain storage (for rollback)
5) import the domain on the new cluster.
6) reload the OS on the original cluster to the new OS release (no local
storage)
7) add those hosts to the new cluster

Last year I have upgraded 2 clusters from oVirt 4.3.x (CentOS 7.x) to 4.4.x
(AlmaLinux 8.x) and next to 4.5.x.

I have installed a new standalone manager using AlmaLinux 8.x following the
documentation (Extract from my notes):
- enabled the following modules: javapackages-tools, pki-deps, postgresql:12,
mod_auth_openidc:2.3, nodejs:14
- installed
    - nfs-utils
    - iscsi-initiator-utils
    - lsscsi
    - ovirt-engine
    - ovirt-engine-extension-aaa-ldap
    - ovirt-engine-extension-aaa-ldap-setup
Copy /etc/ovirt-engine/aaa/*.properties so it will be possible to use
LDAP to authenticate
Set /etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi to match the current manager

On the old standalone manager (CentOS 7.x)
cd /srv/backup/
engine-backup --scope=all --mode=backup --file=backup.bck --log=backuplog.log
scp -p backup.bck new-manager:/srv/backup/
hostnamectl set-hostname old-manager
nmcli to change the the IP
reboot

On the new manager
- nmcli to use the IP that was used previsouly on the manager
- reboot
- Restore from backup.bck file
cd /srv/backup/
engine-backup --mode=restore --file=backup.bck --provision-all-databases
- export OTOPI_DNF_ENABLE=1
engine-setup

I had to downgrade a package
wget -N
https://vault.centos.org/centos/8/AppStream/x86_64/os/Packages/postgresql-jdbc-42.2.3-3.el8_2.noarch.rpm
rpm -Uvh --oldpackage postgresql-jdbc-42.2.3-3.el8_2.noarch.rpm

Finaly the new manager was working correctly.

It was time to replace each node one by one:
- Cluster / "Stratégie d'ordonnancement" /, replace vm_evenly_distributed by
none to prevent migration
- put a node in maintenance
- reinstall the node in AlmaLinux 8.x
- deploy oVirt 4.4.x on it
- check/configure the network
- activate the node
- shutdown a VM and restart it on the new node

Next step has been to update the cluster level (and reboot each VM) and it has
been possible
to update to 4.5 after that.
I had to update the firewall rules on the manager, something like
cp -p /etc/ovirt-engine/firewalld/ovirt-nfs.xml /etc/firewalld/services
firewall-cmd --permanent --add-service ovirt-nfs
firewall-cmd --permanent --add-service=mountd
firewall-cmd --reload

Good luck,
        Christophe
--