Andreas,

On 1/31/19 01:27, Andreas Lehmkuehler wrote:
> the standard pdf font (PDType1Font.HELVETICA et. al.) don't
> support anything else than (limited) latin1. You have to use
> something else.
>
> Have a look at the HelloWorldTTF example [1]. It shows how to embed
> a true type font. You have to choose a suitable font from your OS
> or something like the noto fonts from google.
>
> W.r.t. font embedding. It's always a good idea to embed all
> resources which are needed to render a pdf. PDFBox reduces the
> amount of space as it limits the embedded font to the used
> characters.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm finally getting around to doing something
about this. I used "Arial Unicode" as referenced in a quickie online
tutorial[1] and what I'm finding is that:

1. The Chinese characters render correctly (yay!)
2. My English-only file has gone from ~1k to ~18k

This test file was the simplest I could muster so it's really an
unfair comparison at this point.

But it's clear that the file will get bigger (of course) by adding the
font.

I'd like to avoid bundling the font unless it's necessary. For several
months, we've been able to get away with the standard PDF default
fonts (which, presumably, the PDF spec requires all clients to provide
which is why the files can be so small). Is there a good way to probe
text to determine whether or not an alternate font will be necessary
and only load/bundle it then?

Thanks,
- -chris

[1] http://www.kscodes.com/java/write-chinese-pdf-using-apache-pdfbox/