John,

On 3/2/19 10:16, John Logan wrote:
> Christopher, is the font that you don’t want to embed a Type 1
> font, or a TrueType font?

I'm using PDType0Font.load to load the font, but the file is TT:

ARIALUNI.TTF: TrueType Font data, digitally signed, 20 tables, 1st
"DSIG", name offset 0x161c2f0

> If the latter, could you use Fontbox to subset the font and keep
> the file size small?

I have no idea. The information about PDFBox seems to be mostly in
example programs and not web-based documentation. Searching e.g.
Google for "how to use FontBox with PDFBox" generally comes up with
references into the Javadoc for "uses of FontBox interface".

The Javadoc does not describe what FontBox is and none of the classes
or subclasses in those related packages really have any documentation
worth reading. Each class "foo" is described as "being a foo" and each
"getBar" method is described as "gets the bar for the foo".

So... discoverability of features is pretty much nil here.

I'm quite happy with the responses I get on this mailing list, but
it's nearly impossible to discover on my own what is possible, here.
I shouldn't have to get you guys to tell me how to use the software...
you have better things to do (like continue to write great software).

Is there a good example of using FontBox with PDFBox in order to
subset a font?

- -chris