> Has anyone tried to use the dotNet client on mono?

It was originally created using mono, so that should in fact be its
most robust runtime environment.

Unfortunately, the Qpid dotnet client that you are trying to use has
not been actively maintained for a long time

It is ported from the Java client, providing an API that is not
recommended for use by Java programmers in most cases.  They would use
JMS instead.  Presumably to make the dotnet client into a going
concern, one would want to implement a Qpid Messaging API layer above
the existing code.  In addition, it would be necessary to review and
port bug fixes to the Java code (0.8 and 0.10) for the past 12 - 24
months, provide a mechanism to prevent staleness after that, and port
the AMQP 1.0 Java implementation when available.  There has been no
active maintenance of this client for some time so the likelihood of
these improvements happening appears remote.

Consequently, this client is no longer offered starting in Qpid 0.10.

By contrast, the WCF client and the .NET Binding for the C++ Messaging
client both consist of a relatively thin managed layer working with
the C++ native implementation (i.e. in "mixed-mode").  Because the
managed layer is thin, it requires less overall development effort for
a given functionality.  The C++ native component does most of the AMQP
and Messaging API heavy lifting.   Bug fixes to the C++ code base
automatically propagate to the mixed-mode client.  Staleness in the
supporting C++ base code is not an issue since it is always current
and not a snapshot in time.

The downside to this approach is that the managed to native interface
is not supported in all .NET runtimes.  Mono does not have this
capability.  Neither does Windows Phone 7 at the moment (but it may in
the future).

If you are able to contribute to Qpid and have ideas for providing a
more platform independent .NET implementation, we would welcome your
thoughts on the Qpid Developer List.

Cliff