On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 01:02 +1000, Gavin Alexander wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking to set up a durable HA broker and had a few questions.
> First off, sorry if these questions are more appropriate on a Linux-HA
> forum... just trying to see if other people have come across the same
> issues.
>
> After setting up a two node cluster and being quite happy with the
> ease of config - I realised that I would have to solve the split-brain
> problem.
> So, using 3 virtual machines, I followed the guide @
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Configuring+qpidd+with+Cluster+Manager
> which works reasonable well - (I've had a few issues with rgmanager
> hanging occasionally during failover... but I digress...)
>
> The environment that I'm using at the moment is on a bunch of Linux
> KVM's, but it will eventually be moved to physical infrastructure.
> I have some reasonable performance requirements and the hardware I'm
> using is quite expensive - so adding another node for HA just to
> maintain a quorum seems "wasteful".
>
> So, I'm investigating if a 2 node setup is possible.
>
> Is it possible to do HA with two nodes (without a "real" qdisk)?
> I've tried adding a 3rd node (a cheap virtual machine) for quorum only
> - I.e. it doesn't run qpidd and is only used for quorum.  It seems to
> work - although I haven't thoroughly tested all failure scenarios yet.
> Other idea's I've had are
>  - Using Qdisk heuristics to generate more votes - everything I read
> seems to suggest not to do this...
>  - Integrating with a load balancer (there's an existing LVS cluster
> on the same network - that I can piggy-back on) to protect against
> split-brain "somehow" :)
>  - Leave it as a two node cluster and rely on corosync totem protocol,
> or interface bonding for fault tolerance. Then, if a split brain does
> occur, it's pretty certain (about 99.9% :) that clients wouldn't be
> able to access the cluster anyway.

There is a special cman configuration option to set up a 2 node cluster
(check the cman docs for "two_node" or something like that.) It requires
hardware fencing. It doesn't do quorum, instead it works like a
shoot-out: in a partition each node tries to fence the other and only
one survives.

> A couple of questions...
> Do cluster messages require acknowledgement from cluster nodes before
> sending ack's back to the client (if the clients require
> acknowledgement)? And hence, does adding more nodes degrade
> performance?

There are no acks as such between the brokers. The cluster relies on
virtual synchrony, provided by corosync, to ensure each broker gets a
consistent set of messages from all its peers. Brokers use multicast to
exchange messages so there should not be a big performance difference
with more brokers.

> Has anyone ever tried running qpid over something like drbd?
Not that I know of.

> Is it possible to specify a bind address for qpidd?
I'm not sure what you mean by a "bind address".