To fill in a little more about "clients can connect to any of the brokers", in
the active-passive mode, clients connect to a virtual IP address that gets
moved around to the current primary broker (this is one of the things driven by
the resource manager). If the primary crashes (or its  node goes down, etc.)
the virtual IP would be moved to wherever the newly chosen primary is - clients
would need to reconnect, but always to the same IP.