Thanks Fraser, I agree with your points including fingers :-) Using ACLs is the
right way, I am still learning new features of QPID.

Kind regards, Jan

> Hi Jan,
> There are no *plans* as such - mainly due to limited time and the fact
> that it hasn't been a priority for me (I'm trying to focus on getting a
> JavaScript implementation of AMQP 1.0 sorted and get my head around
> AMQP
> 1.0 Management)
>
> I agree that it's potentially useful. There is some fairly basic
> authentication as you might have discovered, it literally uses
> BasicAuthentication which has tended to be good enough for me as I only
> tend to need to use it on a private network.
>
> It's worth mentioning that you can configure the default connection
> using any valid Java ConnectionURL and if you simply use the configured
> default AMQP connection that info doesn't pass over the network to the
> UI (in that case it just uses "" as the URL) so if you're only managing
> a single broker it's not necessarily as insecure as you'd think given
> just basic authentication (that's partly why I've never really had to do
> more).
>
> That doesn't help you with your read only/read/write users thing though.
> I have toyed with "admin" and "normal" users, but I'm afraid I've never
> got around to it. I'm guessing that you want to restrict read only users
> to prevent them adding and deleting queues/exchanges.
>
> As a nasty hack (sorry!) you might be able to fire up two instances of
> the QpidRestAPI on different ports.
>
> What you'd need to do is copy the qpid-web subdirectory, but in there in
> "authentication/account.properties" is where the username and password
> stuff is held. If you have one instance as "admin" and another say as
> "user" you can specify the web root when you start up QpidRestAPI.
>
> Now if you were to do that then you could specify different connection
> URLs for each instance (with different Qpid usernames and passwords) and
> then use Qpid's ACL mechanism to prevent adding and deleting queues etc.
> from the "user" Connection.
>
> As I say it is a bit of a nasty hack, but I think that it it technically
> possible (I'm no expert on Qpid authentication and ACLs though) - and in
> practice it might *actually* be what you'd want anyway (depending on
> your level of paranoia) because even if the GUI were to have a mechanism
> to do what you suggest someone could still add/delete stuff via
> qpid-config or (if they were sufficiently knowledgeable) directly via
> the QMF protocol. (and they could certainly at least add
> queues/exchanges using a suitably constructed Address String).
>
> Personally I'd just threaten to break their fingers if they messed with
> my broker ;-D
>

> I'm going to have to get stuck into it again when I look to try and do
> something with AMQP 1.0 Management so I'll definitely give it some
> thought, but I can't promise timescales at the moment I'm afraid.
>
> Regards,
> Frase

DISCLAIMER
________________________________
         WOOD & Company Financial Services, a.s. and its branches are
authorized and regulated by the CNB as Home State regulator and in Poland by
the KNF, in Slovakia by the NBS and in the UK by the FCA as Host State
regulators. For further information about WOOD & Co., its investment services,
financial instruments and associated risks, safeguard client assets (incl.
compensation schemes) and contractual relationship please see our website at
www.wood.com<http://www.wood.com/> under section Corporate Governance.
         Unless otherwise stated, this transmission is neither an offer nor the
solicitation of an offer to sell or purchase any investment. All estimates,
opinions and other information contained herein are subject to change without
notice and are provided in good faith but without legal responsibility or
liability. Opinion may be personal to the author and may not reflect the
opinions of WOOD & Co. Communications from sales persons, sales traders or
traders should not be regarded as investment research and may contain opinions
or trading ideas which are different from WOOD & Co. investment research
opinions.
         This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged
or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not a named addressee you
must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail and any
of its attachments. Please notify the sender that you have received this email
by mistake by replying to the email, and then delete the email and any copies
of it. Although WOOD & Co. routinely screens e-mails for viruses, addressees
should scan this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. WOOD & Co. makes no
representation or warranty as to the absence of viruses in this e-mail or any
attachments. Please note that to ensure regulatory compliance and for the
protection of our clients and business, we may monitor and read e-mails sent to
and from our server(s).