On 12/05/2014 09:25 PM, Steve Huston wrote:
Hi Tom,

I don't speak for Red Hat, but I can say that Red Hat != Apache Qpid. The
Apache Qpid future is still bright with plenty of effort behind it on all the
various facets (C++, Java, proton, dispatch, etc.)

I don't speak for Red Hat in any official category either. Steve is absolutely right that Apache Qpid is bigger than any company; that is the beauty of the open governance at Apache.

That said, as a Red Hat employee, I am still working hard on Qpid in different areas, as are many of my colleagues. The Apache Qpid project is first and foremost a *community* interested in developing software to aid and further the adoption of AMQP. Red Hat remain completely committed to collaborating with the Qpid community to achieve that goal.

The Qpid community is also bigger than any one software component it produces. Over time, new solutions may emerge that are better than previous attempts, and this may divert focus of some developers. The 'federation' capabilities built in to qpidd for example informed and inspired a better solution in the form of Dispatch Router. Work is underway to develop a new JMS client (a collaboration between Qpid and ActiveMQ) that will be an improvement on the existing one(s) etc.

Of course, a balance needs to be found between continuity and backwards compatibility on the one hand, and innovative new solutions on the other.

The promise of AMQP is interoperability between different components. With 1.0 I really hope we make that more of a reality. The support from ActiveMQ - also an openly governed, open source project here at Apache - is evidence of real progress there. However with more than three distinct Apache-governed, open-sourced, AMQP compliant brokers, it may not make sense to replicate every feature in each of them and again that may impact the focus of particular developers.

We do need to get better at formulating and communicating roadmaps for the Qpid community, to enable better, more effective collaboration that stays attuned to users needs. I do believe though, as Steve says, that the future is bright for Qpid!

I have customers that have placed large bets on Apache Qpid-based systems. They
expect returns.

-Steve Huston

-----Original Message-----
From: tom peterson [mailto:2tompeter...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2014 1:24 PM
To: users@qpid.apache.org; d...@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Does RH MRG End of Life have an Effect on QPID?

It seems RH is EOL'ing MRG and is pushing A-MQ (ActiveMQ underneath) as
their enterprise messaging solution.  Does this change in direction have an
effect QPID's status moving forward?   We are looking at using QPID on a
project but want to make sure that it is not being EOL'd as well.

Thanks for any advice you can render.

tom