Thank-you for the additional information.

It appears that you successfully create an SSL encrypted TCP
connection acceptable to each peer.  So SSL configuration seems fine.

It further appears that the service bus refuses to create a link to
your topic based on an unauthorized access attempt, presumably based
on the credentials you supplied.  Yet the credentials are OK based
on their same use in AMQPLite.

Perhaps there is some quoting problem providing the url to messenger
(from the command line?).  Or possibly the url encoded service bus key
is being parsed incorrectly by Proton.

You could try creating your own pn_url_t (see url.h) from the url you
are using with pn_url_parse(), and see if the associated
pn_url_username() and pn_url_password() are what you expect.

If all that is fine and you are compiling your own Proton library, you
could further check that PLAIN sasl processing is the chosen sasl
mechanism and that a correct username and password make it to that
layer (in none_sasl.c).