From: Robbie Gemmell [mailto:robbie.gemm...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 4:53 AM
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: ServiceBus and Proton-C 0.12 IOP Issue

On 26 February 2016 at 12:46, Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 February 2016 at 23:18, Randy Armstrong
> <ra...@sparhawksoftware.com> wrote:
>> I think it is related to proton because the exact same messages using the
>> exact same credentials are processed by an AMQPlite client running at the
>> same time.
>>

> I think what Andrew meant is that as the error seems to be coming from
> the ServiceBus side and there doesnt seem to be anything suggesting
> that the Proton side is unhappy, though Messenger may be doing
> somthing that ServiceBus isn't happy.
>
>> I am assuming it is related to how the message is constructed because an
>> error that affected all ServiceBus clients should have been seen before my
>> report.
>>
>> The text 'System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null' comes from a
>> .NET library (it is the standard error text for a null pointer passed to a
>> function).
>> So the error is on the ServiceBus side but it is related to something the
>> proton library is sending.
>> Maybe related to an ACK for the message?
>
> I think it could indeed be the ack. You can see from the trace that
> Messenger sends a disposition frame back for a message. The next thing
> that arrives is the detach saying there is an 'issue with the
> consumer'.
>
> [00AADD40]:0 -> @disposition(21) [role=true, first=0, last=0,
> settled=true]
>
> This disposition has no state set in it, which ServiceBus may not
> like, though it is legal.

Somehow sent that mail before I was finished, not actually sure how either. I
was about to say..

That is something Messenger seems to do if you dont configure an 'incoming
window' so you can explicitly accept/reject messages
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-841) so you could try setting the
window and accepting the messages to see if that helps.

As Andrew said, most developer attention is going toward the newer reactive
APIs rather than Messenger, so if you are just starting out you might be better
looking towards those instead.

Robbie