Firstly, 0.28 is quite old now - I would recommend updating to v6.0.1 if
you can.

Secondly I'm not sure I understand your question - are you asking about
overriding particular properties, or the storage format for the broker
configuration - these are two different things.  In terms of properties /
context overrides this can be specified using a properties file (at least
in v6 - I forget exactly how it worked on 0.28).  In terms of the
configuration, JSON is currently the only text based format supported.  You
can use a database for the broker config storage, there are built in
mechanisms to support Derby, BDB, and generic JDBC config stores.

May I ask what advantage you would get by using YAML or properties files
instead of JSON?

-- Rob