Have you tried feeding CMake an install dir? Make one and then also specify
  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<path-to-install-dir>
on the cmake command line.

Lately I *always* build with an install folder because that's where Qpid
picks up Qpid Proton and AMQP 1.0 support - through a shared install folder.

Here's a procedure I use to build Qpid.
https://github.com/ChugR/qpid-proton-tools/blob/master/bat/build_qpid.bat

It shares state with build_proton.bat to make the builds play together.