On Sat, 2016-09-03 at 09:26 +0200, Volker Diels-Grabsch wrote:
> Hi Gordon, Ken,
>
> Thanks for your useful explainations.  Neither of them solved my
> problem fully, but the combination did. :-)

Here is a relatively simple procedure for building a python package
like you describe from the source distribution (or a source repo)

I assume you have the source tree already; and you don't have the
libqpid-proton.so installed anywhere accessible.

$ cd proton-c/bindings/python/
$ python setup.py bdist_dumb

This will build a tar archive in dist for the 0.14.0 release on Linux
x86_64 it is called python-qpid-proton-0.14.0.linux-x86_64.tar.gz .

You can unpack that tgz in the correct place.

If you have a virtualenv setup it is even easier just to run

$ python setup.py install

And this will install the qpid-protob python binding directly in the
virtualenv you've setup where it can be found with pip.

Hope that simplifies things for you.

Andrew