On 30 March 2017 at 12:32, Lorenz Quack <quack.lor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 on the migration to git.
>
> Regarding the name of the broker's git repo:
>  * qpid-broker: I agree with others that this might lead to confusions
>    with the cpp broker.
>  * qpid-java-broker: I am worried that legal will not be happy with this
>    since Java is a trademark. See [1] and [2].
>  * This leaves qpid-broker-for-java and qpid-broker-j.
> Between those two I favour qpid-broker-for-java since that is what was
> decided in [1].  I agree that it is a bit wordy but we won't have to
> type it a lot and it is consistent with the other usages like
> documentation and representation on the web page.

So my view here is that "Qpid Broker for Java" is essentially the wrong
name in every context :-)  The fact that the Broker is written in Java is
really incidental to its function and unless you are looking at deploying
on a platform that doesn't support Java, it really shouldn't make any
difference to an end user. personally I would have gone for qpidj-broker or
qpid-broker-j for the product name and the repo name.

On the legal concerns, I don't see why the git repo name would be different
from a legal standpoint to the maven artefact names... if we believe that
the git repo name is an issue then we should also be changing the maven
names... and again I would think that "qpid-broker-for-java" would be a
stupid maven artefact name too :-)

-- Rob