This is lot easier in C++ broker where you cannot change the policy or the
limits once you create the queue :-). But as a user I would have
appreciated the possibility to change the limits on the fly many times, so
I'm not suggesting this is the way to go.

>From your possibilities B) would be what I would expect. I assume that it
is quite easy to change the limit and purge some messages in two steps if
the operator wants to do that.

I can also imagine another possibility, where you don't allow the operator
to set the limit below the actual queue size. I.e.:
- user can freely increase the limit
- If the queue has limit 1000 messages and 100 actual messages inside, user
can change the limit to 101 or 100. But not to 99.
This would ensure that the limit is always kept and leave the task to
decide what to delete or not to delete on the operator. But I guess this
might be also non-trivial to implement so that it doesn't run into any race
conditions etc.

Regards
Jakub