Good question.

3 reasons:

1. Flash offers runtime type checking which helps catch bugs.
2. By keeping the SWF target, it forces development of the framework to be
technology-agnostic as much as possible. This means that if we decide we want a
native android or iOS target (for example), it will be much easier to implement.
3. There are those who will want an AIR target.

HTH,
Harbs