Alright, this is a deal breaker for our business (if sling absolutely
requires sticky sessions). I hope you're not offended that I'm not 100%
convinced yet. I understand you do development on the sling project and are
well qualified on the topic. To be honest, however, I don't understand fully
what you said in your last post and I also know that AEM 6.1 can do what I'd
like, which is really just Sling+Oak. If they can do it, I don't understand
why we can't.

ref:
https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/administer/security/encapsulated-token.html

I'd hate to throw away all the awesome progress we've made with Sling so far
when I know that AEM, which is just sling + jackrabbit, can accomplish
app-server-agnostic authentication, and thus avoid sticky sessions.

Although I don't understand this "head revision" that you've described, and
that's inexperience on my part, I am confident that you're telling me that
when there is only one Mongo instance in existence, and all Sling instances
get data from it, that directly after "sling-instance-1" writes
"myProperty=myValue" to the JCR, then "sling-instances-2" could get the
value of "myProperty" from somewhere else - some old value. This only seems
possible to me if one of the following is true:

A) the Sling instances are caching values from Mongo (perhaps Sling or Oak
is doing that?)
B) There are separate versions of that property stored in Mongo (perhaps
this is what you meant by the word revision) and it's possible for a
sling-instance to be reading an old version of a property from Mongo.
C) Mongo isn't consistent.

We know from mongo documentation that C isn't true - Mongo is consistent
when reading from the primary replica set. So it must be that A or B is
going on? And if so, what is your guess about how AEM 6, which is Sling+Oak,
avoids this pitfall when they very clearly support the stateless
architecture  (ie not-sticky) that I'm planning?