Hi,

the run mode "author" is sticky - once you start a AEM instance with that run mode it will continue to use it, regardless of what you specify on the next startup. So in your example, the run mode author is active for all three startups.

Messing with the launchpad/config folder is not recommended as you can run in exactly the problems you describe. The OSGi installer (the main component used by the JCR installer) is not reverting changes done by other tools or humans. So what you describe is actually expected:

When you manually remove configurations from launchpad/config and restart the instance (standby restart), the installer still has the state that it has installed the configurations previously. So it is not acting - this is the intended behaviour as the installer is not messing with changes done through other means (like this manual remove). And as "author" is a sticky run mode, the installer sees no change in the set of known configurations read from JCR.

Similar on the next restart (without standby), the installer does not do anything. Again, author run mode still active, no change.

Regards
Carsten