Is it a priority to use the dynamic backend ?  I personally find it
disrupting the way Ubuntu & Debian are moving to the slapd.d style. Maybe it
holds some (probably important) advantages, but at the same time the static
slapd.conf method isn't particularly disadvantageous either.

Of course, you can still use slapd.conf using the -f argument to slapd,
that's how I do it on new installations.

Anyway, the Ubuntu wiki is a good source of information, that's probably
where you should be looking for your answer regarding the configuration &
adding records.