On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:42 AM CST, Julian Robbins <julian.robb...@q-par.com> wrote:

On 29/11/11 17:29, Donny Brooks wrote:
> For the past few months since deploying thunderbird with the
> connector/lightning/integrator plugins to over half of our users we
> have been having some issues. Mainly, if the load on the server ever
> reaches 1.00 and you try to compose a new email in thunderbird once
> you get the first or second letter in the address bar and it just
> hangs. To exit you have to close the window.

We've seen exactly this happen a few times, with same setup, ie sogo
with full connector/lightning/integrator plugins. But I don't think its
related to load (for us). We only have 35 users so the sogo server load
is usually pretty low.

We've found that Windows 7 users haven't reported this issue as yet,
wheras with XP its happened a few times. (We have no Vista users). But
this may be related to the specs of the machines being better with 7.
That said we have some uers with slow older Win XP machines that havent
seen this issue.

It appears that Thunderbird 3 is poor with respect to handling Address
Books via Card-dav. Its been mentioned on the list a few times before.
Thunderbird 2 was ok apparently.

Have you tried using the Sogo Integrator autocomplete delay adjustment
user_pref("sogo-connector.autoComplete.delay", 1300); as mentioned in a
bug report (sorry not got time to search for it). It helps stopping
double letters appearing but may be a bit high in regard to timeouts ...
We have it included in the Integrator config so its rolled out into
everyone's prefs.js thunderbird file.

> When the load reaches that high it is always a single sogod process
> eating up 98%-100% of one of the cpu cores. The machine is a Xen
> paravirtualized machine with 4 cpu cores and 4GB ram allocated to it.
> I have to stop and restart httpd/sogod/memcached to get the process to
> behave.
Are you really using WO workers count correctly? You have to set it
somewhere in /etc/sogo not in the normal user's GNUStep conf file if
running as a daemon. It's in the manual, but easy to miss.

> The high load affects all users no matter if they access via the web
> interface or Thunderbird. The only ones not affected are the users
> that use Thunderbird without the plugins. I have set the
> WOWorkersCount to 8 for testing but that does not seem to have done
> anything either way.
Generally web users aren't affected here, it always seems to work fine
for us.

> Does anyone have any idea of what could be going on and/or what to do?
> Since we are rolling this out to all users in one form or another (web
> interface or thunderbird) now this is imperative I find out what's
> going on soon. The logs don't seem to be any help at this point but I
> am still digging through them. Thanks in advace for any help on this.
I couldnt see anything in the logs either on this either. Please let me
know if you get anywhere with this, if you find out anything offlist as
I'd like to know.

Julian Robbins
The load normally is around 0.10 to 0.20 at any given point on our server. It is only once a rogue sogod process starts taking up the available cpu cycles that this happens. I have applied a fix for the timeout via a thunderbird.cfg file that we force preferences to the end users. We will see how that works out.

As for the machines being affected, all of ours is Vista or 7. Actually all of the ones now are 7 since we just deployed a whole slew of new pc's and that is when we setup the plugins too. So I don't think it is end user hardware that is totally at fault.

The only reference to the WOWorkerCount is for the GNUStepDefaults file. I am running Centos 5.4 currently on that machine and have no /etc/sogo anything.

The web users problem is not just the address book lookup but the whole web interface freezes. You cannot load new messages or change folders when this happens.

So with the change on the timeout I am going to see how this works. Also I have a small test group that I am disabling the plugins just to make sure it isn't thunderbird also.
--
Donny B
MDAH