Op 04-04-12 19:53, Sebastian Reitenbach schreef:

On Wednesday, April 4, 2012 02:32 CEST, Advrk Aplmrkt<avkapl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hello,

I am wondering if an easier method could be developed for installing
SOGo? Two examples:

(1) Including a web installer, such as the PHP based installer for
RoundCube (http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Howto_Install). This way, an
administrator could unpack SOGo onto their web server, type in an URL,
and follow the installation wizard.

(2) Install via a Webmin module. I realise there is a Webmin module
for SOGo, but could it be used to *install* SOGo in the first place
from scratch? If so, I would really like to know. It not, what can be
done to make the module as an installer for SOGo?

Will any of these features, or any changes to make installation
easier, be incorporated into the upcoming SOGo 2? By the way, is there
a release date (or at least rough estimate) for SOGo 2?

I ask these questions because I am trying to setup SOGo on my personal
server, but don't have the time or expertise to learn everything about
LDAP, SQL databases, Postfix, IMAP, etc. etc. But SOGo provides the
best functionality, and there is no other groupware that I find
comparable...
So you also drive a car without a drivers license because you don't have the
time and expertise?

Well, you don't need to be an expert to setup all the stuff. It only takes a
couple of days to learn
the basics of each to figure out how they play together. Think about it for a
minute, afterwards,
you will know what to backup, and how to restore, in case of a disaster. You
already thought
about something like this happen, don't you?

cheers,
Sebastian

Thank you very much.

Heyhey, I second that.....
ZEG is a good start if you want to testdrive it.

If you plan to really use it in the future, I HIGHLY reccomend installing it from scratch. And try to understand what you are reading.

Example; when installing the funambol connector. I followed the instructions literally. I never managed to get it to sync properly. By troubleshooting this, I found out a great deal about funambol and how it works, and where to look is it fails. Turned out to be a missing instruction in the manual when adding the syncsource for sogo-cal and sogo-event, they don't mention to modify "Supported type:" to event and todo. If you try to understand what you're doing, you won't be strugling for 2 whole days like I did. (btw. Hint to manual writers).

A whole explenation for simply saying, install it , and you'll learn to work with it! and learn a bit about ldap, mysql, tomcat , funambol tweaking, caldav , etc, etc....

Regards,
Ed

/Open Minded Technology & Services/
Ed Driesen
No-nonsense informatica voor thuis en kantoor

GSM 0478 26 72 93
e...@omts.be
BTW BE 0897 866 147*
*